Sunday, October 26, 2008

Portfolio assignment

I have started working on my portfolio assignment for chemistry......wait, have I mentioned this already? I can't remember.....chalk it up to this head clogging cold, no sleep and the 3 blue-eyed short people that keep me on my toes all the day long.
Anyway, I have to do a chemistry experiment and present it to the class on December 10th. I decided to come up with some pottery glazes of my own, partly because I wanted my project to be different from everyone else's. The others in my class are making all sorts of things from perfume, soap and aspirin to biodiesel and aspartame. Don't get me wrong I think those things are interesting but they are in the category of typical chemistry experiments. New Glazes? I love that idea! What can I say? I'm a potter and I love glazes.
Now, I was told a while back that having a degree in chemistry was a plus when it came to making glazes but I thought they were kidding. Well, the weren't....there is alot more involved in this than I anticipated. I think I'm getting there though.
I wanted to come up with some different colors with some special effects thrown in the mix. Right, now I'm working on some recipes for light blue, buttery yellow, pink and purple all with some textured and maybe speckled effects. I'm also working on a turquoise color too but only because I like to hear Haley "turquoise". I need to come up with 5 more recipes.
So, I will most likely be asking you all to preview some of the glazes and let me know what you think. Overall, I'm just hoping to come out of this with an A and maybe a few new glazes.

0 comments: