Thursday, August 21, 2008

Lesson learned!

Well, I'm thinking that most of you have heard about our latest trip to the hospital but I thought I would post it for those few that have not.
I don't think I was a member of the blogging world when Haley had to get staples in her little head or when Cameron had to had his eyes flushed out. Since then we have learned that jumping on the bed is a no-no and it takes 2 seconds for James to spray Spray'n'Wash in Camerons eyes. (Note: all cleaning products have been moved to the farthest reaches of the cabinets....even I have problems reaching them.)
But I never thought that a 2 year old had lightening fast "grab and swallow" abilities that were far more advanced than my reflexes. Or maybe I'm just getting slow! No comments on that please!
Anyway Cameron snatched up an old watch battery that I was replacing and it was gone before I knew he grabbed it. Poison Control told me to take him to the ER and once there they took an x-ray.

See there it is in his stomach. At this point the doctor on call was worried that it might attach itself to the stomach lining where it would begin to leak its caustic fluid and cause....well you get it. They told me that we would have to take him to Mission Memorial in Asheville where a pediatric surgeon would remove it via endoscopy. So we headed to Asheville. Kojak stayed home with James and Mom went with me and Cameron.
After checking in at the ER, the doctor came out and said that they wanted another x-ray to be sure of the batteries location. They took the second x-ray and left us to wait in the lobby. My nerves were shot by this point. The doctor came out again and told us that we could go home. Apparently, the battery had already moved into the "home stretch" of the lower intestine and past the point where they were afraid it might stay.
So, we came home and he past it the next day!
Aaaaah, the joys of having more grabby little hands than I can keep up with.
Lord, have mercy on my nerves!

0 comments: