Monday, September 8, 2008

Confession and Disappointment

As far back as I can remember, I have always loved to read. I don't even remember the first real book that I read but I'm sure it must have been good because I was hooked. Reading is such an enjoyable past time for me. I read pretty much anywhere, in bed, in the bathtub, curled up on the couch, in the car, outside on the porch, on vacation...heck, reading is like a mini vacation. I have read and love to read books of all kinds. (Except Chemistry....not liking that one much right now.) Suspense, horror, romance, sci-fi, fantasy, historical, inspirational, and literature, I like it all! I've even read a few non-published drafts that I loved written by family members . You know who you are people....please move forward with your books they were wonderful.
Bare with me people there is a point here.
The point is: of all the books I've read, the ones that I love the most are vampire books. I've read all of the Vampire Chronicles by Anne Rice and all of her connecting books. Amanda Ashley has some really good ones, as well as, Shannon Drake! I was thrilled when a vampire popped up (very briefly) in one of the Harry Potter books. Anyway, I noticed a book that looked promising a few weeks back and decided to pick it up when I got the chance. Twilight by Stephenie Meyer. It had a little sticker that read "Soon to be a Major Motion Picture". The semester was getting ready to end and I knew I would have a little more free time. I went back to get it and noticed that there were two more in the series. New Moon and Eclipse. Above the display was a sign advertising the upcoming release of the fourth book Breaking Dawn. What luck, I love a series.
So, I brought home Twilight and planned to read a little that night, stretch it out a bit, take it in slowly, enjoy taking in something other than Anatomy, Nutrition or Micro.
That, was all good in theory, I devoured that book like it was a hot fudge sundae. And then I nearly sold my shoes to get New Moon and Eclipse and devoured those as well. (Not really with the shoes but I did sell some pottery.) After that I held my breath until the release of Breaking Dawn. I was blue by the time I got to Walmart. Okay not really but I'm almost done here, stay with me people. I finished Breaking Dawn in record time.
Let me say that these books are not racy or trashy or anything of the sort. They are young adult books and strictly rated PG. They are very interesting and very well written. The main story, the characters and plots are so well rounded and beautiful. They have created a phenomenon among younger and older readers alike. True love conquering even the most impossible of boundaries....and I'm a real sucker for a good "Love conquers all" story.

Stephenie Meyer is being hailed as the next J.K. Rowling.

The main two characters are Bella and Edward with the story being narrated by Bella. However, after finishing the series, Stephenie Meyer decided that her Twilight fans needed to read the story from Edward's perspective and started writing Midnight Sun. Everything went fine until someone she trusted let the partial draft leak onto the Internet. Now, she feels like she doesn't know whether she can finish it or not. You can read about her opinion here. www.stepheniemeyer.com/midnightsun.html. She did post the partial draft (long after the leak) on her website for her fans to see so they would not have to suffer in longing.
So, I am very disappointed that this story may never be finished because it is such a wonderful version of the first book. I hope that she can find it in herself to forgive and move forward. Until then I will look forward to November 21st....Twilight the movie!
Okay, I'm done now. Thanks for listening....I mean reading my rambling.

0 comments: